You. guys. It’s. Finally. Happening.
It needs a new paint job, obviously, but how cute is this?
That’s right. We bought a house! Like an actual, honest-to-goodness house with walls and basement and attic and a front door and windows and a garage.
It’s in Seattle and it’s almost 100 years old and has coved ceilings and so much charm! So so much charm that I can hardly write a normal sentence. The ceilings are tall – like 9 or 10 feet. Can we say big chandeliers, anyone? (Well, not huge, but you know, relatively big.)
The living room and fireplace. Windows on the left face the street.
The dining room has a great window!
I’m supposed to get the keys either tomorrow or Wednesday, just in time to answer the doors for trick-or-treaters. I already bought the Halloween candy and will lug it around in my truck until I can get into the house.
From kitchen towards back of the house. The cabinets are from the 50s but are in incredible shape.
From the kitchen into the dining room. I need some new appliances.
So stay tuned because there is some big stuff a-brewing here on Suits and Aprons with all the good home repair things I have in store for this gorgeous, old, charming, craftsman-ish house. I say craftsman-ish because it’s not entirely craftsman style on the outside, but the inside has arched doorways and coved ceilings which are just awesome.
This is the front bedroom. it’s small, but charming.
The back bedroom – looks right out onto the solarium.
Here are the pictures from the MLS listing. As I get into the house, I will start posting more before and after pics.
Upstairs attic will become the master bedroom.
Other side of the upstairs attic.
This is the bathroom in the basement. It needs a lot of work, but it has potential and it has a WINDOW. And it’s there.
Upstairs bathroom – check out my sweet turquoise tub and toilet. In great shape.
Oh, and check out the sweet solarium it has in the back. In Seattle, you really need a solarium – a place to absorb the limited sun that we get.
THE SOLARIUM! That’s right, a solarium. Because that’s what fancy people have.
As you can tell, it needs some love, but I. Am. So. Freaking. Excited. That. My. Face. Hurts. From. Smiling. AHHH!
So that’s what’s happening here, dear readers. Soon I will walk you through all my remodelling and updating plans.
Here is a brief list of things I want to do:
1. Paint house so it’s no longer mustard brown. Maybe dark gray with white trim?
2. Paint kitchen cabinets white. Maybe black/charcoal lower cabinets? Brass hardware. Paint counters to look like marble. New lighting.
3. Paint almost everything flat white.
4. Polish/seal floors. They are in surprisingly good shape but need either Restore-A-Finish or Danish Oil to come back to life after 50 years under carpet.
5. Do the Apartment Therapy Style Cure in the dining room. SAY WHAT?! That post is coming up soon.
6. Paint fire place surround black, I think?
7. Do something awesome with solarium. I have no idea about this room, but it’s exciting. I want to fill it with plants and a cozy place to drink coffee in the morning. Not sure quite how to get there.
8. Attic: Rip out carpet, get rid of low-ceiling tiles to vault the ceiling. Add third bathroom. Obvi, the attic will take some time. And money that we don’t yet have, but we will. Eventually I also want to make it bigger by adding two dormer windows. Again, this will depend on finances. May be a few years…
9. Fix the turquoise bathroom. Needs new floors. I cannot afford to replace the tub and toilet, so I’m going to celebrate the vintage turquoise fixtures and do some fancy design tricks that maybe make the turquoise look intentional. Because it totally was intentional. I wanted a house with turquoise fixtures from the beginning.
10. Eventually rip out door between dining and kitchen and replace it with an arch that matches the arch between the dining and living room.
11. A million other things that I want to happen.
Who wants to come visit and stay in my guest room?